In 1913 Mrs. Jettie Arrington and a group of children started a Sunday School under a walnut tree in what is now Woodville Church’s backyard. Later that same year Woodville Baptist Church was organized in the Woodville Graded School building with 14 members. The first church building was completed in August 1914 and the first service was held on the night of August 11th, 1914.
In the 100+ years since the first meeting at Woodville Baptist Church, the message has always remained the same. The cross of Calvary is what allows sinners to come into a saving relationship with Christ.
Today we gather together as a family with the same convictions as those early members. There was a need for a harbor in the storms of life. A place where truths gleaned from the Word of God, would empower the Christian to endure the temptations of life and where the Gospel could convict sinners.
According to 2 Timothy 3:16,17
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
We pray that is what you find here at Woodville. A place where the Gospel is preached as God’s divinely inspired word. That through the preaching of the Bible we can find what to believe, what is wrong in our lives, how to correct these wrongs, and finally how to live so that we can be complete in God. Then we then can live in this world as his ambassadors. We are to carry the Gospel to a world that desperately needs it.